The new academic year has well and truly begun; Fresh challenges, new A Levels and exciting opportunities are in full flow and our new Year 12 students have settled in brilliantly.
We welcomed over 160 new Sixth Form students through the doors in September, 40 of whom join us from external schools. It is fair to say that they have begun their Post-16 study exceptionally well, showing passion for their subjects and commitment to their learning. They are, just like our Year 13, a great group of young people who have huge potential. I have been amazed by the friendliness and immediate cohesion between the students and this bolsters their chances of success in every aspect.
The first two days for Year 12 were all about getting to know how A Level subjects ‘work’ and getting to know each other as a year group. The Wednesday afternoon trip to the beach for pizza and beach games, went down unsurprisingly well!
We have already seen some huge successes in amongst the students in terms of taking on challenges and relishing opportunities:
- The Sixth Form Football team are now unbeaten this season, currently through to the district Semi-Final, where they are looking to retain the trophy.
- The Basketball team have been training hard each week and drew 33-33 in a scintillating ‘friendly’ versus Twnham. Both teams played in a brilliant spirit, cheered on by over 60 of our supporters.
- The Bar Mock team (including some KS4 students) made it through the regional finals with a stunning victory in court, and will now move on to the National Final in March. Good luck to them all!
- Les Misérables, the school production, is nearly upon us. There are a number of talented Sixth Formers taking part and we can’t wait to see them in action at the end of Janruary!
- Three Year 13 students have been successful in their UCAS applications to Oxford, and have been invited to interview. We wish them every success and regardless of outcome, are very proud of their achievements to date.
After the Christmas holidays, the work intensifies even more for both Year groups in the run up to mocks and final exams. My advice to all students is very clear – be wise with your use of time (work hard and smart), ask for help from your amazing teachers, support each other at all times and smile whenever you can.
Mr Wilder, Head of Sixth Form