In Key Stage 3 students build their knowledge and skills by designing and making in Textiles, Food and Resistant Materials. Every pupil studies each unit in rotation during the year. Safety is an important part of the curriculum.
Students will analyse existing products, investigate fabrics, and use patterns and motifs from different cultures to inspire their own design work. They will develop skills in research, designing, printing, making and evaluating. In addition, students will learn how to use a sewing machine safely and correctly to create original and creative outcomes.
Textiles at Key Stage 4 allows students to design and make products for today’s society, including home furnishings, fashion, accessories, children’s clothing and educational products.
In Year 10 students will learn the essential skills needed to produce innovative design work and high quality products by looking at past and current fashion and designers to inspire their own work.
They will also learn the theory of Textiles including; how fibres and fabrics are made, the properties of different fibres and the impact Textiles has on the environment, in order to make their own design decisions.
Year 11 students will then have the challenge of putting all these skills into practise by designing and making a complete product for their controlled assessment which makes up 60% of their GCSE. The remaining 40% of their GCSE will be a 2 hour written examination.
Ultimately students will be encouraged to be creative and to develop their own knowledge and understanding within Textiles in order to become exciting designers of the future.